Undergraduate Software Engineering Programmes
Software engineers (SEs) are engineers who specialise in designing, building, testing, and "maintaining" the software in computer systems. Such systems include, systems that control electrical and mechanical devices, computerised communication systems, computer systems used to design other engineering products, financial systems, and information systems. Since software is now used in every type of organisation, and in designing every type of device, career opportunities are essentially unlimited.
Software Engineers are ultimately responsible for the usability, safety, and reliability of their products. For example, the SE must make sure that the system and its documentation are consistent, that the hardware configuration is appropriate to the task, that programs will behave as required, and that the system will meet all real-time deadlines and other performance requirements. Because they must understand what is going on outside the computer, not just the software, the McMaster programme includes much more than software design
McMaster offers one of the first accredited undergraduate
software engineering programmes in Canada
McMaster Software Engineering programme prepares students for a career in a rapidly changing field by emphasising fundamental design principles, material that will still be useful and valid three decades from today. Students learn to apply basic mathematics and science (including relevant Computer Science), as well as undertake disciplined testing and simulation to ensure that any system they design will perform its tasks adequately when delivered to a customer for use. Although the students will use current systems in their laboratory work, the lectures stress ideas and techniques of lasting value.
Admission to Undergraduate Software Engineering
All students entering the Faculty of Engineering at McMaster take a common Level 1 programme comprising Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, Engineering Design, Computation and a complementary studies elective. The specialized programmes are entered at Level II. This process offers students the opportunity make a more informed choice when deciding between the various fields of Engineering.
Please refer to the following calendar links for requirements:
- SOFTWARE ENGINEERING (B.Eng)
- This four-year programme contains the core body of technical knowledge required for Software Engineering graduates.
- SOFTWARE ENGINEERING AND MANAGEMENT (B.Eng. Mgt.)
- This five-year programme contains the core technical knowledge for SEs and supplements it with a full year's worth of courses on various aspects of communication and management.
- SOFTWARE ENGINEERING AND SOCIETY (B.Eng Society)
- This five-year programme meets the needs of those students who want a full education in Software Engineering but also want to broaden their education to include the impact of modern technology on the society in which we live.