B.Sc. (Eng.) (Queen's), M.A.Sc. (Toronto), Ph.D. (Toronto), P.Eng.
As of July 2012 I am a Full Professor in
the Department of Computing And Software and
Associate Director of the McMaster Centre for Software Certification (McSCert).
I joined the department in August 1998 as an
Assistant Professor. My PhD was completed under the supervision of
Prof. W.M. Wonham in the Systems Control group at the University of Toronto in February 1997. From March 1997 to July 1998 I was
a contractor at Ontario Hydro performing Formal Verification of the
Darlington Nuclear Generating Station Shutdown System Trip Computer
Software. For the small part I played in helping to automate the systematic design verification of safety critical software on that project, I was a co-recipient of an Ontario Hydro New Technology award. My research interests fall under
the general headings of Software Engineering and
Control of Discrete Event Systems (DES), in particular Software Certification, Formal
Methods for Real-Time Systems (synthesis, verification, and model
reduction), practical application of formal methods in the software engineering process, computer aided inspection, and supervisory control of modular, nondeterministic and
probabilistic DES, and hybrid systems.
I am a licensed Professional Engineer in the province of Ontario and a Senior Member of the IEEE.
A bibliography of selected papers with abstracts
, BibTeX entries and full papers downloads of some of my work.
The Matlab/Simulink Tabular Expression Toolbox was originally developed by my former Software Engineering M.A.Sc. student Colin Eles. More information on the tool is available here
Software Certification Consortium (SCC):
I have been working with my McSCert colleagues (Alan Wassyng and Tom Maibaum) and many others, to establish a Software Certification Consortium (SCC). One of SCC's first initiatives is to issue a Software Grand Challenge to use formal methods to specify, design and implement a Pacemaker. The starting point is an informal requirements document from Boston Scientific and a PIC Microcontroller based hardware reference platform developed at the University of Minnesota. I am currently in the process of getting Pacemaker boards manufactured. Please contact me if you are interested in purchasing one.
- FormaliSE 2014, Program Committee, 2nd FME Workshop on Formal Methods in Software Engineering, June 2014, Hyderabad, India -- an ICSE 2014 Event
- WoSoCer 2013, Program Committee, 3rd edition of the IEEE International Workshop on Software Certification, co-located with the 24th IEEE International Symposium on Software Reliability Engineering (ISSRE), and it will take place in Pasadena, CA, USA, in November 4-7, 2013.
- EMSOFT 2013, Program Committee, International Conference on Embedded Software, September 29 - October 4, 2013, Montreal Canada.
- Dagstuhl Seminar 13051, Co-Organizer, Software Certification: Methods and Tools, January 27 to February 1, 2013, Dagstuhl, Germany.
- FormalSE 2013, Programm Committee, FME Workshop on Formal Methods in Software Engineering (FormaliSE), A workshop that will be be held on Saturday 25 May 2013, San Francisco (USA), in conjunction with ICSE 2013.
- FHIES 2011, 2012, Program Committee, International Symposium on Foundations of Health Information Engineering and Systems.
- ISoLA 2010, Program Committee, 4th International Symposium On Leveraging Applications of Formal Methods, Verification and Validation, 18-20 October 2010, Amirandes, Heraclion, Crete.
- FGPAs in NPP, Co-Chair, 3rd Workshop on the Application of Field Programmable Gate Arrays (FPGAs) in Nuclear Power Plants, Sept. 28-Oct. 1, 2010, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada.
- APRES 2009 Program Committee Member, 2nd Workshop on Adaptive and Reconfigurable Embedded Systems, Oct 11, 2009, Grenoble, France.
- CCECE 2009 Technical Program Committee Chair for Symposium on Computers, Software and Applications, IEEE Canadian Conference on Electrical and Computer Engineering, May 3-6, 2009.
- ICFEM 2008 Program Committee Member, 10th International Conference on Formal Engineering Methods,
Oct. 27 - 31, Kitakyushu-city, Japan.
- FMICS 2008 Program Committee Member, 13th International Workshop on Formal Methods for Industrial Critical Systems, September 15-16, 2008,
- AFM 2006 Program Committee Member,
Automated Formal Methods Workshop - 21 August 2006, Seattle, USA.
- ICFEM 2005 Program Committee Member,
7th International Conference on Formal Engineering Methods -1-4 November 2005, Manchester, UK.
ICFEM 2004Program Committee Member,
6th International Conference on Formal Engineering Methods -
Microsoft Research, Seattle, WA, Nov. 2004
- ACSD 2004 Local Organizing Committee - Sponsorships Director of Applications of Concurrency to Systems Design - Software Quality Research Lab, McMaster University, Hamilton, ON, Canada June 2004.
- Joint Special Issues of IEEE Transactions on Software Engineering and IEEE Software Magazine on "Inspection in Software Engineering" -
Guest Co-Editor with David L. Parnas - Selected papers from the First Workshop on Inspection in Software Engineering(WISE'01) were published focusing on the theory in IEEE Transactions on Software Engineering (Vol. 29, No. 8,
August 2003) and the practice in IEEE Software Magazine (Vol. 20, No. 4, July/August 2003).
- WISE'01 - Co-Chair - The First Workshop on Inspection in Software Engineering (WISE'01) was
held in June 2001 as one of 4 official satellite workshops of CAV'01.
Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council Discovery Grant Selection Committee 330 - Computing and Information Sciences A 2008-2010 Competitions.
I am on sabbatical for the 2013/2014 academic year. When not on sabbatical, I typically teach the following undergrad courses.
MECHTRON 3TA4 Embedded Systems Design I
Avenue is the main source for course information.
MECHTRON/SFWR ENG 3DX4 Dynamic Models and Control of Physical Systems
Avenue is the main source for course information.
Past Graduate Course:
CAS 725 Formal Methods for Real-Time Systems - information, lecture slides and assignment hand
outs, etc. available on Avenue.
Previous Undergraduate Courses:
SFWR ENG 4G06 Software Engineering Senior Thesis
SFWR ENG 2F03 Mathematical Logic for Software Engineering - information, lecture slides and assignment handouts etc.
SFWR ENG 4A03 Real-Time Systems and Computer Control
Systems - information, lecture slides and assignment handouts, etc.
Previous Graduate Course:
CAS 704 Real-Time, Embedded Systems
CS 734 - information, lecture slides and assignment hand
Current Research Engineers, Postdocs and Graduate Students
Vera Pantelic, Research Engineer, NSERC APC/Chrysler Leadership in Automotive Powertrain (LEAP) project
Lucian Patcas, Postdoc, NECSIS project (Co-supervised with Tom Maibaum)
Alex Korobkine, Research Engineering, Chrysler APC LEAP project
Monika Bialy, Ph.D. in Software Engineering, (Co-supervised with Alan Wassyng)
Manas Ghosh, Ph.D. in Software Engineering (Co-supervised with Jacques Carette
Nicholas Moore, Ph.D. in Software Engineering
Linna Pang, Ph.D. in Computer Science (Co-supervised with Alan Wassyng)
Amar Patel, Ph.D. in Software Engineering (Co-supervised with Tom Maibaum)
Matthew Dawson, M.A.Sc in Software Engineering (Co-supervised with Alan Wassyng)
Mischa Geven, M.A.Sc in Software Engineering (Co-supervised with Alan Wassyng)
Archana Mallya, M.A.Sc. in Software Engineering
Nicholas Proscia, M.A.Sc. in Software Engineering (Co-supervised with Alan Wassyng)
Alexander Schaap, M.A.Sc. in Software Engineering (Co-supervised with Jacques Carette
Recent Graduate Students
Xiayong (Jason) Hu, Ph.D. in Software Engineering, Now Application Architect, Ontario Lab Information System - Minitstry of Health and Long term care
Vera Pantelic, Ph.D. in Software Engineering, Now a Research Engineer at McMaster
Jenab Baluwala, M.Eng. in Software Engineering
Peter Bergstra, M.A.Sc. in Software Engineering (Co-supervised with Nicola Nicolici)
Ben Breimer, M.A.Sc. in Software Engineering (Co-supervised with Alan Wassyng) - Now working at Candu Energy
Honghan Deng, M.A.Sc. in Software Engineering, Now working at Invensys
Colin Eles, M.A.Sc. in Software Engineering, Now working at Electronic Arts
Asif Iqbal, M.A.Sc. in Software Engineering (Co-supervised with Alan Wassyng)
Lucian Patcas, Ph.D. in Software Engineering (Co-supervised with Tom Maibaum)
Steven Postma, Research Engineer, SOSCIP
Mitch Shaughnessy, M.Eng. in Mechatronics, Now working at Brock Solutions
John Stribbell, M.Eng. in Mechatronics Engineering, Now working at Brock Solutions
Billy Taj, M.A.Sc. in Software Engineering
Sasan Vakili, M.A.Sc. in Software Engineering
Marvin Zuzarte, M.A.Sc. in Software Engineering (Co-supervised with Nicola Nicolici)
I have been an avid Linux user/sys admin since 1994.
To learn about the Linux operating system, check out the
Linux Documentation Project. I currently use Fedora Linux.
I stayed in school this long,
but still no one can tell me why?
They figure who would know,
better than I?
from Autobiography by Sloan off one cord to another