Neerja Mhaskar, PhD
Post Doctoral Fellow & Sessional Faculty
Department of Computing and Software
1280 Main Street West Hamilton, Ontario L8S4L8 Canada
Email: pophlin AT mcmaster DOT ca
PhD Thesis: A Generalization of Square-free Strings
My research is in the area of Algorithms on Strings and Security. However, I am interested in all aspects of Combinatorics on Words, Algorithms on Strings, Complexity and Security. My current research includes constructing optimal networks for protecting resources using product family algebras, exploring alternate covers for regular and indeterminate finite strings, a new ordering on strings called the V-Order, and Palindromes. During my
PhD, I worked on a generalization of square-free strings, the shuffle operation on strings, and on giving a formalism for finite strings.
I am a post doctoral fellow working with Professors Ridha Khedri and Bill Smyth, and a sessional faculty at the Department of Computing and Software, McMaster University. I completed my PhD in August 2016, from McMaster University under the supervision of Professor Michael Soltys.
Before pursuing my doctoral studies I was a Programmer at the DeGroote School of Business at McMaster University.
I have a Master's degree in Engineering Science (with IT as major) from Louisiana State University, and a Bachelor's degree in Mechanical Engineering from Jawaharlal Nehru Technological University Hyderabad, India.
When I am not working I am with my two kids and family.
I have been teaching the Operating Systems course, since 2017.
- Computer Science Practice and Experience: Operating Systems (Comp Sci 3SH3) - Winter 2019.
- Computer Science Practice and Experience: Operating Systems (Comp Sci 3SH3) - Winter 2018.
- Computer Science Practice and Experience: Operating Systems (Comp Sci 3SH3) - Winter 2017.
Refereed Journal Papers:
Refereed Conference Papers:
- Neerja Mhaskar and Bill Smyth, String Covering with Optimal Covers, Submitted 2018.
- Neerja Mhaskar and Bill Smyth, Frequency Cover for Strings, Accepted with minor revisions for publication in Fundamenta Informaticae, 2018.
- Michael Soltys and Neerja Mhaskar, Formal Framework for Stringology, Accepted for publication in Journal of Discrete Applied Mathematics, 2018.
- Neerja Mhaskar and Michael Soltys, String Shuffle: Circuits and Graphs, Journal of
Discrete Algorithms, 31:120-128, 2015.
- Ali Alatabbi, Jacqueline W. Daykin, Neerja Mhaskar,
M. Sohel Rahman, and W. F. Smyth, A Faster V-order String Comparison Algorithm, Submitted to Prague Stringology Conference 2018.
- Neerja Mhaskar and Michael Soltys, Forced Repetitions over Alphabet Lists, Proceedings of Prague Stringology Conference 2016.
- Neerja Mhaskar and Michael Soltys, A Formal Framework for Stringology, Proceedings of Prague Stringology
- Neerja Mhaskar and Michael Soltys, Non-repetitive Strings over Alphabet Lists, WALCOM:
Algorithms and Computation, volume 8973 of Lecture Notes in Computer Science,
pages 270-281, February 2015.