Neerja Mhaskar, PhD
Department of Computing and Software
Room: ITB 220
1280 Main Street West
Hamilton, Ontario L8S 4L8 Canada
Email: pophlin AT mcmaster DOT ca
My research focuses on algorithms and data structures. In particular, I am interested in
- algorithms on strings for pattern matching
- algorithms for designing a secure network
- analyzing patterns in big data
- developing tools and data structures for data compression, and information retrieval
I am currently looking for MEng, MASc, and PhD students. If your research interests align with mine and you have strong coding skills (especially in C and C++), please email me your CV.
Due to the sheer volume of applications I may not be able to respond to all your emails.
I am an Assistant Professor in the Department of Computing and Software, McMaster University. Prior to this role, I was a post doctoral fellow/visiting researcher working with Professors Ridha Khedri and Bill Smyth, and a sessional faculty in the same department. I completed my PhD in Computer Science in August 2016, from McMaster University under the supervision of Professor Michael Soltys. I have a Master's degree in Engineering Science from Louisiana State University, USA, and a Bachelor's degree in Mechanical Engineering from Jawaharlal Nehru Technological University Hyderabad, India.
When I am not working I am with my two kids and family.
Current Graduate Students
- Lindsay White, PhD Computer Science (co-supervised with Dr. Khedri)
- Holly Koponen, MASc Computer Science (co-supervised with Dr. Smyth)
- Viktor Melnyk, PhD Computer Science (withdrawn in good standing)
- Hossein Dehghani, MASc Computer Science
- Chenge Liu, MEng Computer Science
Below are the courses I taught/am teaching.
- Data Structures and Algorithms (Comp Sci 2C03) - Winter 2021, Fall 2021.
- Computing Patterns in Strings (CAS 722) - Winter 2020, Fall 2021
- Computer Science Practice and Experience: Operating Systems (Comp Sci 3SH3) - Winter 2017, 2018, 2022.
For papers in string algorithms area, the norm is that authors are listed in alphabetical order.
Refereed Journal Papers:
- Neerja Mhaskar, Mohammed Alabbad and Ridha Khedri, A Formal Approach to Network Segmentation, Computers & Security, Volume 103, Article 102162, 2021.
- Felipe A. Louza, Neerja Mhaskar and W. F. Smyth A New Approach to Regular & Indeterminate Strings, Theoretical Computer Science, 854:105–115, 2021.
- Jacqueline W. Daykin, Neerja Mhaskar , and W. F. Smyth, Computation of the Suffix Array, Burrows- Wheeler Transform and FM-Index in V-Order2, Theoretical Computer Science, 880:82–96, 2021.
- Hideo Bannai, Shunsuke Inenaga and Neerja Mhaskar, Longest Previous Overlapping Factor Array and its Applications, Information Processing Letters, Volume 168, Article 106097, 2021.
- Michael Soltys and Neerja Mhaskar, Formal Framework for Stringology, Journal of Discrete Applied Mathematics, 274: 141-151, 2020.
- Neerja Mhaskar and Bill Smyth, String Covering with Optimal Covers, Journal of Discrete Algorithms, 51:26-38, 2018.
- Neerja Mhaskar and Bill Smyth, Frequency Cover for Strings, Fundamenta Informaticae, 163(3): 275-289, 2018.
- Neerja Mhaskar and Michael Soltys, String Shuffle: Circuits and Graphs, Journal of Discrete Algorithms, 31:120-128, 2015.
Refereed Conference Papers:
- Holly Koponen, Neerja Mhaskar1, and W. F. Smyth, An Overview of String Processing Applications to Data Analytics, Reconciling Data Analytics, Automation, Privacy, and Security: A Big Data Challenge (RDAAPS), doi: 10.1109/RDAAPS48126.2021.9452004, 1–8, 2021
- Neerja Mhaskar and W. F. Smyth, Simple KMP Matching on Indeterminate Strings, Proceedings of Prague Stringology Conference, 125--133, 2020.
- Ali Alatabbi, Jacqueline W. Daykin, Neerja Mhaskar, M. Sohel Rahman, W. F. Smyth, Applications of V-order: Suffix arrays, the Burrows-Wheeler transform and the FM-index, WALCOM: Algorithms and Computation, volume 11355 of Lecture Notes in Computer Science, pages 329-338, 2019.
- Ali Alatabbi, Jacqueline W. Daykin, Neerja Mhaskar, M. Sohel Rahman, and W. F. Smyth, A Faster V-order String Comparison Algorithm, Proceedings of Prague Stringology Conference 2018.
- Neerja Mhaskar and Michael Soltys, Forced Repetitions over Alphabet Lists, Proceedings of Prague Stringology Conference 2016.
- Neerja Mhaskar and Michael Soltys, A Formal Framework for Stringology, Proceedings of Prague Stringology Conference 2015.
- Neerja Mhaskar and Michael Soltys, Non-repetitive Strings over Alphabet Lists, WALCOM: Algorithms and Computation, volume 8973 of Lecture Notes in Computer Science, pages 270-281, 2015.
- Ridha Khedri, Neerja Mhaskar, and Mohammed Alabbad, Network Architecture and Segmentation: How to Achieve it Through Calculations?, Status: pending.
- Ridha Khedri, Neerja Mhaskar and Mohammed Alabbad, On the segmentation of networks, Technical Report CAS-19-01-RK, McMaster University, 2019.
- Neerja Mhaskar. A Generalization of Square-free Strings. PhD Thesis, McMaster University, 2016.